How It Started
Oklahoma’s first pizzeria was the product of a Jewish guy from Chicago and a Lebanese man from Waynoka. Jack Sussman met nightclub owner Jack Samara while traveling through Oklahoma. The two decided to join forces to create Sussy’s—an Italian eatery committed to quality. They used traditional Italian recipes and imported cheese from Italy. The team hired a native Italian chef to teach the staff how to make authentic pizza, antipasto plates, Italian salad bowls, lasagna, and more. Sussman and Samara opened the first Sussy’s in February 1947, followed by a second location in 1956. That same year, the partners began selling Sussy’s frozen pizza and boil-in-the-bag spaghetti and meatballs.
A New Beginning
Sussy’s continued expanding its Italian empire throughout Oklahoma, establishing a store in Norman in 1959. However, despite Sussy’s success, the partnership dissolved in the early 1960s. Sussman continued to operate the previously established restaurants and opened a few new locations including The Nomad. Following Sussman’s death in 1980, Rick Baily and his family took ownership of the Nomad, closing its doors in September 2016. After shutting down Sussman’s last restaurant, Baily and Brad Hogan continued his legacy by opening a new Sussy’s in Lower Bricktown on November 6th, 2017. This restaurant uses the same recipes and cooking styles Sussy’s is famous for and offers all the original pizzas along with a variety of delicious, new menu items.